Saturday, December 13, 2008

TIME OUT!!



. . .the section of my blog that is just random things I think are kind of funny!!
There Is No Such Thing As A FREE RIDE--or is there???

I live outside New York City in a New Jersey town, otherwise known as a "train town". That simply means that the New Jersey Transit train system runs through my town, I board at a delightfully quaint train station and am delivered to Penn Station, New York in about 40 minutes.

I buy $200 worth of tickets at once--so whenever I feel like a trip to the city or must go to NYC, I just grab a ticket off the pile and off I go. Its a breeze!! In my last pack of tickets--I had no idea that I had bought a FREE RIDE. I didnt really buy a FREE RIDE--but there was one ticket--that whenever I carried it onto the train, the conductor did not collect my ticket. A FREE RIDE!! As of November 1, I was up to 5 FREE RIDES with this same ticket.


I was on my way to Broadway to see White Christmas on the day before Thanksgiving. I grabbed the FREE RIDE ticket--after all it had worked for the past 5 rides and certainly it will work on a holiday eve!! By this time, I am past feeling lucky and am feeling smugly confident. In New York City, one does not speak to anyone on the train--so I tucked my FREE TICKET into my book and onto the train I went.


I sit down next to a 20-something girl who is talking on the phone--she has the window, I am on the aisle. I get out my book--start reading. Here comes the conductor--I make no eye contact. He asks her for her ticket--he never even looks at me and moves on to the next seat-- The lucky ticket works again!!!



I love my FREE RIDE --NEW YORK, its my kind of place.

_______________________________



Next blog: One of my favorite recipes


No comments: