Thursday, January 8, 2009

From My Favorite Recipes



One Dish Chicken and Rice




Ingredients:

1 (10 ounce can) cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 cups cooked and chopped chicken
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup frozen peas (I used a can of small petite peas)
1/4 cup choped green or red bell pepper (I used half a green pepper)
2 cups cooked white rice (I used Premium Minute Rice)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used Monterey Jack shredded cheese)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (I preheat to 325 as my casserole dish is glass)
Blend soup, milk, salt, pepper and mayonnaise in a medium bowl.

Combine chicken, onion, peas, bell pepper and rice in a large bowl
Mix gently.

Gently fold soup mixture into chicken mixture to combine.
Fold in half the cheese.

Spray a medium casserole dish with cooking spray.
Spoon in the chicken mixture.

Sprinkle top of casserole with remaining cheese.
Bake until top is golden brown--about 25 minutes.

Leftovers are GREAT.


Use every ingredient--each contributes significantly to the distinctive taste.

Recipe name is misleading. It took three dishes to get the casserole in the oven!!

_______________________________________




Next blog: Something fun from my private library

No comments: