Tuesday, February 5, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!




I love my birthday--it is the only day of the year that belongs exclusively to me.

Although the most glorious holiday of my last 30 years has been MOTHER'S DAY--the most personally fun day for me is my birthday. Here are some reasons why:
  • First of all, my birthday is a palindrome--2-5-52. For many of you, I will be the only person you know whose birthday is a palindrome.
  • Secondly--my birthday has only gotten better with age. How about that? It used to just be February 5 but when I turned 13, Superbowl started--so I have had the good fortune of having my birthday on SuperBowl a couple of times. Nice half time show the Rolling Stones put on for me two years ago!!

  • Thirdly, this year, my birthday is SUPER TUESDAY!! Cool enough--but even better--I was born on a Tuesday. So, all I can say is "super". Be sure to vote!!
While you are here--I am going to light the candles, but while I am doing this (it might take a while)--let's look at birthday charm around the world:

Argentina: When a girl turns 15 she has a BIG party and dances the waltz with her father first, and then boys.

Bolivia: Birthday child dances the waltz--and wears white all day.
As a nurse, I wore white for a lot of my birthdays


Brazil: Be careful about celebrating your birthday in Brazil--they pull on your earlobe one time for each year. The birthday person gives the first piece of cake to his/her best friend and he or she has to dance the waltz with as many partners as matches his or her age.

Canada: Birthday people--grease their noses with butter!!! YUMYUM--It means that bad luck cannot stick to them that day.

China: Birthday person eats noodles for lunch--it symbolizes the wish for a long life. NICE!


Denmark: Fly a birthday flag outside the house all day


Ecuador: Girl wears a pink dress on 15th birthday--she dances the waltz with her father and 14 of her friends (14 boys and 14 girls). Birthday girl also wears her first pair of high heals.


Germany: A member of the birthday person’s family wakes up at sunrise and lights the candles on the birthday cake. The number of candles includes one for good luck. The candles burn all day long. After dinner everyone sings the birthday song. If all of the candles are blown out in one try then the wish of the birthday person will come true.

Italy--Pulling ears. The child's ears are pulled as many times as his or her new age.

Japan--New Clothes. The birthday child wears entirely new clothes to mark the occasion. Certain birthdays are more important than others and these are celebrated with a visit to the local shrine.

New Zealand--Birthday claps. After the birthday cake is lit, the happy birthday song is sung loudly and often out of tune and then the person birthday person receives a clap for each year and one for good luck.

Norway--Birthday day. The birthday child stands out in front of their class and chooses a friend to share a little dance while the rest of the class sings a happy birthday song.

Puerto Rico--Taps on the arm. The child gets tapped on the arm for each year of age.

Russia--Birthday Pies. Instead of a birthday cake, many Russian children receive a birthday pie with a birthday greeting carved into the crust.





South Africa--Presentation of a key at age twenty-one. On the twenty-first birthday a key made of anything from paper to aluminum foil to silver to gold is presented by the parents as a sign that the child is ready to unlock the door to their future.

Vietnam--Everyones birthday is celebrated on new years day. Not only is Tet the beginning of a New Year, it is also everyone's birthday. The Vietnamese do not know or acknowledge the exact day they were born.

OK--candles are ready!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!! And when your day comes--try one of these global traditions--many of them are really very, very dear. Besides, you have done it the American way long enough to have gotten it right, haven't you???



And don't ever forget to make that wish!!


For me, its my 56th birthday--my Super Tuesday and I am wishing that I were dancing the waltz in a pink dress.







*************************************************************************************************************




As promised, next blog will be My Hometown A - Z: Letter B.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday to you, oh woman who got me pregnant! I am also having a birthday this year, the theme being: "This one goes to Eleven!" (Let everyone try to figure all THAT out.)

Hope your day and life are magical!