Sunday, May 7, 2023

 

 

 

A Review:  I'm Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

_________________________________________________

 It has been a while since I posted a review, but this book caught my eye and my heart now about a mother and her daughter.  But this will be interesting for sons as well.

Perhaps I chose the wrong book to read this weekend as we are 7 days from Mother's Day.  This book and its title threw me off a bit at first.  I went ahead and read it and the title does not mean the way it looks.  This was another one day bookread for me.  In other words I could not stop reading it.  I wonder what you will learn from your Mom and yourself while you are reading this book.  


Here are a few things I learned:  


1.  We knew since childhood that our parents will  die.  How did we know that?  Our grandparents died and in our Baby Boomer life, our presidents did, too 


2.  Our Mom and Dad want to die before us.  How do we do that?  Stay alive!!!  

3.  Get ready.  When our Mothers have died, we each immediately have a life-long sadness..  What does that mean?  No one will tell you how fabulous you are like a Mother would do it. Never ever again.

4.  You are really on your own when your Mother dies.  What does that mean?   You cannot pick-up the phone and talk to her when you have a bad day, you cannot share recipes when you want another bit of Mom's dinner, or when there is an empty chair at your birthday. For us Boomers, it was an event of only Mom and you! (My Mom was hoping for a boy, but lets ignore that part)
 
5. Do you ever really bury your Mom, I do not think so.  (Well, maybe I am wrong about that.)  There is a chance that you will see yourself saying "My Mom" phrases a lot more often.  And after a while, you will notice you are following her style (and she was right) but you don't have to tell people that it was her idea.  

So--that is how I felt as I read this book.  There will be so many other thoughts that rise in other readers but I could not stop reading it.  It is about Jennette McCurdy and her Mom. It is an interesting story of how she (Jennette) handled her mother's last days, how she lives through it and then how is she now. 

_______________________________________________________________________

 Why did I read this book in one day?   I could not put down the story and that evening spent thinking about my Mom (1924-2016}  This book will grab you, but it will be better if you grab it first.  And remember, everyday is Mother's Day.

 

See you again soon.

 

No comments: